Although it has been many years since I have had a child in preschool, l still remember that period being full of a lot of change. It is a turning point in a child’s development as they begin their journey in school where they will be educated, learn more independence and make new friends. Starting today, Monday, February 1 through Friday, May 20, you are able to register your preschool age child as they ready to take their next step as a Jackson Madison County School System (JMCSS) student.
Students must be four years old by Monday, August 15, and meet state mandated income eligibility requirements to apply. Parents are encouraged to enroll their child early. This will allow students to be placed and parents notified of acceptance to the program by the first week in May. Preschool locations for the 2016-2017 school year are Alexander Elementary School, Arlington International Leadership School, Denmark Elementary School, East Elementary School, Isaac Lane Technology Magnet Elementary School, Lincoln Magnet School For Mathematics and Science, The Montessori School at Bemis, Rose Hill Middle School, South Elementary School and Whitehall Pre-K Center.
Applications will be accepted Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Whitehall Pre-K Center in Jackson. Along with the application, parents will need to bring the following documents:
From the JMCSS
1. Copy of the current year’s physical and immunizations on the Tennessee Department of Health Certificate of Immunization Form. The form must be signed at the top right hand corner for the physical, and checked on the bottom left hand corner and signed at the bottom right hand corner for the immunizations. Blue cards or Health Department Immunization printouts cannot be accepted.
2. Copy of a state certified birth certificate. A mother’s copy or hospital copy cannot be accepted.
3. Copy of Social Security card or verification of Social Security number from Social Security office.
4. Household Income Verification (most recent check stub, most recent year’s tax return, public assistance case number, SSI pay stub).
5. Three (3) Proofs of Residency in Jackson, Tennessee or Madison County (mortgage documents or property deed, apartment or home lease, utility bills, driver’s license, voter precinct identification, automobile registrations).
Contact Secretary Ms. Keviunna Corley at (731) 427-6396 or by e-mail to learn more about the JMCSS preschool program.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to the Kid Madison blog and get our articles in your inbox!
©2016 Kid Madison. Article by Jennifer Smeltser. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the publisher http://kidmadison.com/.